PARTICLE ACCELERATION RESOURCES
j5 Case Studies, White Papers and Other Related Information
Electronic Logbooks have recently been a hot topic of discussion across Particle Accelerator networks such as the Global Accelerator Network (GAN) and the European Particle Accelerator Conference (EPAC). Leading industry companies such as the European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (ESRF) have championed the benefits of e-logbooks to the Particle Acceleration community:
- They involve more people in daily operations
- They are a common archive for all measurement results
- A web-based system is accessible from everywhere, all the time
- They aid remote shifts
- Automatic logging saves time otherwise spent recording events manually
- The database saves time spent searching for results
- A consistent user-interface reduces training requirements and human error
- Control room procedures are consistent and on the same platform
- There is consistent logbook data for technical archiving and exchange processes
The j5 Operations Logbook is a proven GAN tool and has been used in the Particle Acceleration industry for over ten years.
ESRF Particle Acceleration (France)
White Paper: Evolution and Status of the E-Logbooks at ESRF
In 2004 ESRF moved to electronic logbooks which are now used for document management, the exchange of technical information and – in the Control Room – as a powerful tool for storing and retrieving information at a glance. This White Paper explores how the j5 system has evolved over-time to the requirements of ESRF.